Spectacle Reef Light stands vigil in northern Lake Huron about 18 miles east of Cheboygan, Michigan marking one of the most treacherous stretches of the Straits of Mackinac. An engineering feat, construction started on the spectacle shaped reef (hence the name) in 1870 and was completed four years later with the Light entering service in June of 1874.
It is the most expensive lighthouse on the Great lakes and is made of interlocking, hand cut limestone blocks with a height of 97 feet above the water and was equipped with a second order Fresnel lens with a range of up to 24 miles. The Light also includes an attached fog building that was built in 1906 to house the two diaphone foghorns and the machinery for the operation of the station with additional storage below. The entire structure rests on a massive 86’ by 86’ steel encased concrete deck. The tower contains seven floors including the balcony level and the lantern room. There are also two below ground storage rooms outside the main structure accessible through hatches in the deck.
The lighthouse was automated in 1972 after almost 100 years of being a manned station, and the lens was removed in 1984 and is now on display at the Inland Seas Maritime Museum in Ohio. The current light is a modern LED.
The Shoal Shoppe is a husband and wife team dedicated to doing our part to preserve the history Michigan 's offshore Lighthouses. 100% of our profits go towards the restoration and preservation of the Lights we have the honor to represent.